Friday, July 13, 2007

Crayola affair - Partie 2!

Today I took three (3) of my experimental blocks marked with the black colour and did a wash. I needed to wash a quilt, so perfect timing. Again, just for good measures I threw in a dye catcher. You may refer to the first entry for the data on the products used etc...

This is block 2 (two). On this block there was nothing special. It merely stayed in a pile for 7 (seven) days with the other blocks waiting to be washed.

I label the number on the right front corner with the Crayola marker and use a permanent marker on the back. I can see the number on the front of the block. It did not completely wash out. Where the machine quilting has been done, I cannot see any of the outline.

I went outside, it's sunny today for a change and asked dh, who is still working on his stone wall, if he could see a number on the block. He could not. So I asked him to look for a number 2 (two) on the right hand corner. He still could not see. Then I told him to put his woman eyes on and finally he saw it! LOL He said that once I pointed it out, he was able to see the number but it's very faint. I do want to mention that I stretch the block in order for him to be able to see any marking.

This is block 4 (four). It was prepared on July 8th. I ironed the block, cotton setting, without steam. You can actually see the number 4 (four) on the block.

I also see a faint blueish tint where machine quilting has been done. On the right cheek of the cat, I must have made a dot while marking, letting the marker rest a bit.

I asked dh what he sees on the block. He could see the number. I asked if he saw any other marking. He said that he saw the dot on the right cheek.

This is block 5 (five). Same treatment as block 4 (four) but I ironed with steam. The number is also visible. I can also see a faint blueish line.

Dh could also see the number. I asked if he once again saw any other markings and said perhaps the left ear area. I'm stretching the block in order for him to clearly see. He said that the remanence of the marker was hidden by the quilting.

The faint bluish line may have been avoided had I been more careful with my marking. The intend of this experiment is to look at various possible scenarios. It become obvious that one should not iron the block; heat sets the marking to a certain extent. One should avoid placing a marked quilt in an area where it will be exposed to extreme heat.

There you have it. Stay tune for the results of further testing.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

This is all very intresting - thanks for sharing your results.

Guðrún said...

To put his woman eyes on LOL that was a good one. I will stay tuned.

Leigh said...

The saying in our house is "have a girl look".
Yes even with a boy look I can see your numbers.
Thanks for sharing and doing the ground work for us.
By the way, have you got through all those chockies yet?

Libby said...

This is such a great test of the markers. Thanks for sharing all of your results.

Kim said...

At this point, I find the test of your hubby's eyesight the most fascinating part of the experiment! LOL!

atet said...

LOL...you know, if I asked my husband the same question he wouldn't see any of it! I asked him to look at a quilt layout for me the other day -- he walked into the room and asked where it was. Since it was taking up all of the available floor space in one section of the room, I doubt his vision! Thanks for the info on the markers!

swooze said...

Am watching with great interest! Please send me your mailing address again. I am going to the PO this week and will get the chicken pattern off to you!

Anne Heidi said...

I've tagged you for the seven random things game! Vistit my blog to see the rules.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...